Linux version still lacking features

Post here topics for SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
pltz

Linux version still lacking features

Post by pltz »

Hello,
after I bought a licence of SM Office 2021, I found out that the Linux version does miss some important feature w.r.t the other ones. In particular, the lack of an equation editor, no grammar checker for any language that is not German and problems with fonts antialiasing.

I've had a look at the 2024 edition, and it looks like none of these issues have been resolved.
Smilodog

Re: Linux version still lacking features

Post by Smilodog »

Totally agree with the necessity of equation editor : this request in years old, but none plans announced for this moment.

However, what do you mean saying:
pltz wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:49 am no grammar checker for any language that is not German
?
I'm using English and French (besides German), grammar automatic check works just fine. Deepl translation between these three languages too.
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

SM Office can check spelling in almost any language (but granted, some of their "pro" dictionaries are lacking compared to the regular hunspell ones). When it comes to grammar, TM is only able to check it for German.

The integration with DeepL is only available for NX.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

As lgsl has commented, grammar checking is only available in German in the Windows version, as well. I have previously commented (in other discussions) that I regard this as a fundamental flaw in SoftMaker Office. I don't like the grammar checker that's included in Microsoft Word, but Word does offer a robust grammar checker and I know people who use it and who rely on it. It is inconceivable to me that, well into the 21st century, SoftMaker Office does not include grammar checking for major user languages other than German.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Hi
How is the Zotero integration these days in Linux?
Edit- looks good - anyone found any problems in this respect?

Linux users need an Equation Editor!!!!!

Cheers
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

Last time I needed to use Zotero, support worked just fine with SM Office Pro/NX.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

lgsl wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:05 pm Last time I needed to use Zotero, support worked just fine with SM Office Pro/NX.
Does look good
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I have gone for a year's NX subscription to try to fulfil my dream of a WindowsFree life :D
mr_richards

Post by mr_richards »

To be fair, once they have the manpower to add it on Linux, they should just rewrite the whole damn thing. The windows one works but since the resulting output becomes an object, you can no longer edit it.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

mr_richards wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:54 am The windows one works but since the resulting output becomes an object, you can no longer edit it.
Please share complete details of the problem for better understanding.
vtpoet

Post by vtpoet »

"As lgsl has commented, grammar checking is only available in German in the Windows version, as well."

One solution would be to make "Prowritingaid" usable in Softmaker Office. I use Prowritingaid in Googledocs with mixed results. On longer documents, it makes the CPU howl. Edit: But it might work better in a dedicated word processor?

Return to “SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Linux (General)”